PRE-COURSE READING ASSIGNMENT
The instructors have selected a series of journal articles that will aid in the delivery of course material if read in advance of the training session. Most articles are of a review nature, but some may have content with which students are not familiar. Please keep a list of any unfamiliar terms and/or concepts so that we can collect and discuss them on our first morning together. We will not be providing a printed version in Corvallis, so you may want to print and bring them with you to the conference.
Three introductory/review-style articles to help you remember the terminology and basic concepts, which should also help with the pre-work:
- Abelson 1995 Chapter 1 Size: 316.4 KB
- Ganio Puettmann J of Sus For Vol 26-2008 Size: 859.1 KB
- Stafford 1985 on statistics Size: 1.3 MB
- Evenage Davis
Sampling and Monitoring:
- Hurlbert 1984 – Ecol Monog Size: 4.817 MB
- Scott 1998 – Ecol Apps Size: 888KB
- Temesgen et al 2007 on biometrics Size: 316.8 KB
No need to print any of this GTR – it is only a reference for those interested.
- Latta and Montgomery 2007 GTR on economics and silviculture Size: 1.1 MB – this is the high priority reading for background prior to the session, along with the pre-work exercise
- Latta and Montgomery 2004 on cost effectiveness OG Size: 311.9 KB – supportive reading for the lectures
- Montgomery et al 2006 Land Econ Size: 7.2 MB – supportive reading for the lectures
- IMDS Investment Analysis Review and Prework
- NASP Econ 2016 Part 1
- 2016 IMDS Handout Solution
- VBAR Exercise
Policy and Law:
- Policy and Law: Case #1
This case study (in the actual words of the legal types) may take a few times reading through, but it is cool! We start with a discussion of this case on Wednesday of week two.
- Endangered Species Act of 1973
Density and Productivity:
- Woodall et al 2005 on SDI Size: 306.1 KB – a good advanced reading about Stand Density Index if you haven’t thought about it in a while.
- STP Solution.xls
Forest Regulation and Planning:
- Bordelon et al 2000 on structure based mgt Size: 1.7 MB
- Buongiorno and Gilless unevenaged_forest (2) Size: 546.8 KB
- Taylor et al 2015 FS on ponderosa ERT decisions and economics Size: 523KB