PRE-COURSE READING ASSIGNMENT
The instructors have selected a series of journal articles that will aid in the delivery of course material if read in advance of the training session. Most articles are of a review nature, but some may have content with which students are not familiar. Please keep a list of any unfamiliar terms and/or concepts so that we can collect and discuss them on our first morning together.
Introductory/review-style articles to help you remember the terminology and basic concepts, which should also help with the pre-work:
- Abelson 1995 Chapter 1
- Ganio and Puettmann (2008) Designing Long Term Large Scale Forestry Experiments with Research Objectives at Multiple Scales
- Stafford 1985 on statistics
- Freese Elementary Forest Sampling (for reference only)
Sampling and Monitoring:
- Latta and Montgomery 2007 GTR on economics and silviculture Size: 1.1 MB – this is the high priority reading for background prior to the session, along with the pre-work exercise
- Latta and Montgomery 2004 on cost effectiveness OG Size: 311.9 KB – supportive reading for the lectures
Policy and Law:
- Policy and Law: Case #1
This case study (in the actual words of the legal types) may take a few times reading through, but it is cool! We start with a discussion of this case on Wednesday of week two.
- Endangered Species Act of 1973
Density and Productivity:
- Woodall et al 2005 on SDI Size: 306.1 KB – a good advanced reading about Stand Density Index if you haven’t thought about it in a while.
- STP Solution.xls
- Density Management and Riparian Buffer Study in Western Oregon PHASE 1 RESULTS
Forest Regulation and Planning: