PRE-COURSE READING ASSIGNMENT
The instructors have selected a series of journal articles that will aid in the delivery of course material if read in advance of the training session. Most articles are of a review nature, but some may have content with which students are not familiar. Please keep a list of any unfamiliar terms and/or concepts so that we can collect and discuss them on our first morning together.
Introductory/review-style articles to help you remember the terminology and basic concepts, which should also help with the pre-work:
Density and Productivity:
- Woodall et al 2005 on SDI Size: 306.1 KB – a good advanced reading about Stand Density Index if you haven’t thought about it in a while.
- STP Solution.xls
- Density Management and Riparian Buffer Study in Western Oregon PHASE 1 RESULTS
Forest Regulation and Planning:
- Bordelon et al 2000 on structure based mgt
- Buongiorno and Gilless unevenaged_forest (2)
- Strimbu, B.M. and Innes, J.L. (2011) An analytical platform for cumulative impact assessment based on multiple futures: the impact of petroleum drilling and forest harvesting on moose (Alces alces) and marten (Martes americana) habitats in northeastern British Columbia. Journal of Environmental Management 92(7): 1740-1752